Aside from moisturizing, my favorite step in my face washing process is toning my skin. People tend to overlook the importance of having a toner in their skin care regimen. Typically, toners are used to calm your skin down after cleansing and/or exfoliation and prep it for your serums and moisturizers. However, most toners offer other benefits other than calmness.
In my 30+ plus years on this planet, I’ve had the pleasure to use quite a few toners. Some have been ridiculously amazing and some have been the equivalent of dirty toilet water that broke my skin out for weeks (Hello, Sea Breeze!) and added to my personal “Never Buy Again” list.
Luckily, I’ve had way more hits than misses and I’ve concocted a list of some of my favorite toners I’ve ever used and borderline abused. Maybe, your dream toner is below, waiting for you to try it!
- fresh Rose Floral Toner – This is perfect for those of you blessed with normal skin who would just like to add a calming and revitalizing toner after cleansing your skin
- Perricone MD Intensive Pore Minimizer – All my oily/acne prone peeps, this is the toner for you. Perricone MDs is very potent and helps minimize enlarged pores, smooths skin, and gently exfoliates without drying the skin. This is a holy grail for my super oily summertime skin.
- Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2 – If could only use one toner for the rest of my life, Clinique’s toner in formula 2 would get my coins for my eternity, because of it’s gentleness, refreshing feel , and refining my pores for a clear complexion.
- Lancome Tonique Confort Rehydrating Toner – People with dry skin tend to be the main culprits when it comes to skipping toners, because they feel it dries their skin even more. Actually, there are toners that help tone, calm, and hydrate your skin and Lancome makes one of the best rehydrating toners to give the softest and smoothest skin. Plus, it smells devine.
- SK-II Facial Treatment Essence – The most luxurious toner that will tone, exfoliate, moisturize refreshes, and smooths your skin. Its pricey, but it’s the queen bee’s knees!
For the past few weeks, I’ve noticed that my skin has been really oily and shiny. Even my typical dry spots have been on the slick side. So, once again, I’m on the hunt for a product to change this dilemma in my skin.
Usually, when I have a skincare issue, one of the first lines that I check for a solution is Clinique. They have rarely let me down and their products are usually hypo-allergenic, which is sensitive and acne-prone skin friendly.
So, after browsing their site, I tend to drop some of my hard earned money on their Stay-matte hydrator from the pore refining solutions line.
“After mattifying instantly, this oil-free formula supplies needed hydration while curbing excess oil and shine for 8 hours. Even T-Zones feel fresh, stay comfortably matte. Instantly refines the look of pores with unique light-scattering optics. Over time, pores seem smaller. Non-acnegenic.”
Sounds like just what my skin has been crying for to stop the shine. I’m sold!
Every so often, I get the urge to indulge and play guinea pig to some new beauty products. As you might remember, a few months ago, I was all about buying and trying different foundations. Before that, I was obsessed with finding the mythical “perfect primer”. Now, ladies (and some gents), I’ve become fixated on skincare products.
This latest fixation may or may not be in part to me wanting to obtain perfect skin for those lazy days when I just can’t get the energy to slap on a few layers of makeup and seize the day. Still, I’m itching to try some new skincare for those self-imposed, but completely deserved lazy days.
So, here are some beauty/skincare products that I’m yearning to try…NOW!
- Stila One Step Correct – A 3-in-1 serum with that moisturizes, tones, and primes to achieve to look of perfect skin…with or without makeup.
- Bliss Triple Oxygen Facial In A Box – Facials are everything and my current bi-weekly luxury. However, they can get a little pricey. So, giving my self a bliss facial…for only $12 a pop is more than reasonable.
- Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask – Pumpkin Enzymes are great for exfoliating and treating dull and aging skin.
- Boscia Konjac Cleansing Sponge – The change in weather is causing my combo skin to be more on the dry side and look dull. So, I’m very intrigued by this brush that not only cleanses the skin, but also exfoliates and hydrates the skin.
- Algenist Genius Ultimate Anti-Aging Melting Cleanser – I love a good melting cleanser. The feel of the makeup dissolving and gently sliding off your face is one of the most amazing, self-indulgent things you can do in the bathroom.
Today is the first official day of Fall and I feel like I’ve been waiting for this day for so long. Plus, it actually feels like fall today with the cool weather and dewy grass that I was greeted with this morning while taking my dogs out.
Every season, when the weather changes, your beauty routine and products tend to change as well. Products with more coverage and heavier consistency replace the light and minimal summer hot products.
Here are few items that I’m itching to try this season that includes serums, concealers, and curl controller.
- bareMinerals Blemish Remedy Acne-Clearing Foundation, $27 – A mineral foundation that helps treat and clear acne? Yes, please.
- Vichy Normaderm Total Matte, $25 – Matte skin is always the goal for my oily/combo skin. So matte skin making products make me happy.
- Aveda Smooth Infusion Naturally Smooth, $26 – I enjoy the versatility of my naturally curly hair…at times. However, in the cooler months, straight hair is fun.
- It Cosmetics No. 50 Serum Anti-Aging Collagen Veil Primer, $48 – The hunt for anti-aging products and a good primer are continuous hunts for me. Maybe, this is a “2 Birds with 1 stone” type of situation, which I’m all for that.
- Lancome Le Corrector Pro Concealer, $38 – This concealer seems like it can make your undereye circles disappear while looking natural. Magical makeup.
Three day weekends are the best! I hope you’ve had an amazing and relaxing Labor Day weekend. I’ve had a pretty chill weekend lounging on my sofa partaking in a Happy Endings (I still hate that ABC cancelled this show) marathon and grubbing on delicious and unhealthy food. However, I as still able to do a little retail beauty therapy and buy a couple longtime favs and potential new acquaintances.
My skin has been doing great as of recently; smoother skin and less breakouts thanks to my new not-new skincare regimen. However, that is for a later post. Despite the clearer skin, I have been having to deal with some blackheads. Therefore, I picked up a box Biore’ cleansing pore strips, because they have provided great results in the past. So…here’s to hoping that they still work.
First thing first, Fantasia Frizz Buster will definitely go in my time capsule…if I ever need to make one. Eh. Back to this awesome serum that not only tames my thick, curly hair’s frizz, but also acts a great heat protectant. I love this stuff!
I finally found a great daytime moisturizer a couple of weekend purchases ago, buy I’ve been needing an equally great nightime moisturizer. I saw this Night Renewal Cream by Palmer’s. Palmer’s is most notably know for their classic cocoa butter, which I’ve used as a night time moisture in the past to help with fading acne scars while moisturizing. This cream features cocoa butter, plus other awesome ingredients to help restore and rejuvenate your skin over night including retinol, vitamin E, and peptides.
Last, but not least, Labor Day is kinda the unofficial beginning of fall and I’ve been slowly collecting and dusting off things for my fall wardrobe, including makeup. For some reason, I’m really into red and deep berry lip products. I have a few, but I would like to find more, especially a velvety matte one. So, I picked up this lip crayon by NYX called South Ferry Berry. I can’t wait to break this out this week.
I’m lowkey geeked about my recent beauty buys!