I have an addiction to deodorants. Actually, it’s pretty easy to get addicted to deodorants. All you have to do is be a 8 year old girl who forgets to wear deodorant on a hot summer day in Memphis and for your older brother to exclaim (loudly) in front of all your shared friends that you’re “musty”. See? Simple. After that, prepare to spend the rest of your life carrying deodorants in your purse, no matter the season. So, yes, I’m addicted to deodorants. Ask my purse! However, in my desire to live a more natural product filled life, I’ve been exploring the world of natural deodorants.
In case you aren’t aware, most known deodorants on the market are loaded with strong chemicals and artificial ingredients, which aren’t necessary the healthiest thing to add to or on your body. Like me, you probably assumed that the point of deodorants is to prevent you from sweating and smelling. Well, that is true. However, in order for the traditional deodorants to do that, they use antiperspirants. Antiperspirants are typically aluminum, parabans, chlorohydrates, and other ingredients that are formulated to prevent you from sweating, but guess what? Your body is supposed to sweat. That’s why we are covered with sweat glands…to sweat. Sweat removes a lot of things from our body including excess water and toxins. So, you shouldn’t want those things lurking around in your body and good ole sweat helps us remove those things. Therefore, that’s one of the reasons I’ve started to use more natural deodorants.
There have been some studies about the negative side effects that those ingredients can have on your health (ask Google), but the main reason I decided to try natural deodorants is that I was more interested in exploring more natural and organic ways to live healthier lifestyle. Years ago when I first heard about natural deodorants, the main complaint was they didn’t work, because they would still sweat and smell just as bad (if not) if they wore no deodorant at all. Funny, but true. Natural deodorants have really evolved over the years and well as the market itself. There a crap load of natural deodorants out there and most have different scented options that are not only natural and break down sweat, but have fresh and fragrant options.
Ever since I added natural options to my deodorant collection, I’ve actually started to prefer my natural deodorants over the convenient antiperspirant deodorants. Below, I’ve shared some of my favorites that I feel are definitely worth trying. Even if you aren’t interested in natural products, you still my find your next favorite deodorant.
NATURAL DEODORANTS TO TRY
- LaVanilla Deodorant – Available in unscented, but the scented ones are just as safe. Grapefruit and Lemon Vanilla are devine!
- PiperWai Natural Deodorant – As seen on Shark Tank and the first natural deodorant I tried that made me a believer that all natural deodorant can block sweat body odor.
- Tom’s of Maine Long-Lasting Deodorant – The OG of natural health care, especially their deodorant. What makes Tom’s great is that they are also available in different scents, have multiple natural scented options, and super convenient since you can find them in most drug and box stores like Target.
- Weleda Wild Rose Deodorant – Weleda essential oil scented spray deodorants are free from antiperspirants. Warning, Weleda sprays are not intended for heavy sweaters, but for the typical low-key sweater will appreciate the fresh and crisp scents.
- Schmidt’s Deodorant in Bergamont + Lime – Just used this for the first time this week and the scent alone makes it perfection. The fact that is natural and plant-based is the cherry on top. There are other scents available, FYI.