Imperfect Concepts is an online high end resale boutique that features a nice selection of vintage pieces from lines such as YSL, Gucci, Prada, and many more.
Recently, I had the lovely opportunity to ask the owner, Tasha, some questions that range from the good and bad to running Imperfect Concepts to tips on what to look for when you are searching for vintage pieces.
1. How would describe your online store, Imperfect Concepts? As a dream come true… Laughs. But really I would describe my store as a place where women can find luxury and amazing vintage items at fantastic prices. Imperfect Concepts is the best-kept secret for online resale shopping for fashionable women.
2. When and why did you start Imperfect Concepts? Imperfect Concepts was started a little over a year ago (7/11/2009). As a kid I always wanted my own store. I wanted a storefront, but that was not attainable in 2007, when I graduated from Southern University. So, I took a road that has been traveled, but altered the road and used stumbling blocks as stepping-stones instead. The process of starting the store was far from easy but the gratification of saying I am 25 and run a successful business makes it all worth it!
3. Where do you find the items you sale on your site? When, I first launched the site it was clothes from my very own closet. I had numerous items that had never been worn or with the tags still on them. Then as the store grew I started adding the thrift and vintage store items I was finding. So now, the store is a mixture of both.
4. When you are looking for items to buy, what do you look for in order for you to buy it? I look for items that I feel my customers would love! A perk of running a small business is getting to know your customers. I communicate with several customers daily via social media or on personal levels. When we talk I am always asking, “What do you want to see in my store; what do you think the latest trends are?”
5. What is your favorite and hardest thing about running Imperfect Concepts? My all time favorites are the packing/shipping process and communicating with my customers. One thing I picked up when working at small boutiques and shopping at them is that you should treat every customer special. They are the reason you will thrive. So, I try to make the shopping/shipping/receiving process amazing every time for each customer. As a result, 85% of my costumers are return customers, and they refer their friends, meaning I gave them a memorable shopping experience!
6. To date, what was your favorite items that you found and why? I found this amazing Dallas Milo leopard print dress. I was in love with that dress! Every woman should own a leopard print piece in her wardrobe. That dress was the epitome of fantastic! When I saw it, I thought immediately of Kate Moss, she always looks chic in leopard.
7. For people new to resale shopping, what are some rules/guidelines they should look for? First, be patient. Resale shopping is not like retail shopping. It is very rare to find more than one of the same exact piece or to have your size in a particular item. Second, search hard and wide. You might only be looking for a LBD, but if you search the accessory section, you will find an amazing Judith Leiber clutch for your wedding day or perfect gift for your best friend. Finally, have fun! Shopping should always be fun not a torture.
8. What are your favorite labels to find when resale shopping? Vintage Dior, YSL or other high end luxury labels. It is always a high to find great luxury items at a fraction of the price at my local thrift or vintage store!
9. Have you ever found an item that you intended to sell, but couldn’t let go? If so, what? I found an amazing vintage silk Escada stripe bow shirt. Its three sizes too big, but that’s what I love about it! I have yet to wear it, but I know that piece will be a staple in my wardrobe this fall.
10. Currently, what is your favorite item that you have for sell right now? The Yves Saint Laurent pieces. YSL is always classic and chic. It is a brand I would say every women and man needs in their closet. I love the black jacket and the Fall 2007 croc wooden pump!
11. What is your hope for the future of Imperfect Concepts? How big do you want it to grow? The hope I have for Imperfect Concepts is to maintain the goal, of providing great articles of clothing to women at affordable prices. Also, to exceed all the expectations others set on us. I use to say I wanted to be as big as the Decades Two or the Fruitions, but I want my store to be as big as God wants it to be! At the end of the day, I just want to be great at what I do. Grow each day and learn something new in the process, is my hope for Imperfect Concepts.
If you are into fab finds without breaking the bank, then you should definitely check out Imperfect Concept! Also you can stay up to date on special discounts and sales by following at twitter.com/imperfctconcept and become a Facebook fan!
Once again, thank you for the Q&A. I really enjoyed it =)
No problem, because your answers are informative and very inspirational for someone looking to start any business! Keep up the awesome work!
Great interview!! I’ve gotten some great stuff from her store!
Great interview. Tasha is a very smart young business owner. These questions & answers gave a very good insight on the woman as a business owner and her ineraction with her customers. I am very proud of you Tasha. You deserve all the success you have received and all the future blessings that are coming your way. Keep it up my friend.