How often do you do a digital declutter?
What is “digital decluttering” and how and why do you do it? Well, for lack of better words, it’s when you delete/purge unwanted and unused items from your digital life including your email account(s) and social media accounts to keep you digital life uncomplicated and streamlined.
When it comes to email, people tend to leave countless emails, opened and unopened, in their inboxes for unlimited amounts of time and then the emails sink lower and lower to the bottom of the pile where they are forgotten until you think to delete them or need more space, which is something I’ve been guilty of in the past. SMH.
When it comes to decluttering your social media accounts, that includes deleting old direct messages, even old posts (if you fancy) and unfollowing people you no longer wish to follow or people you notice no longer post as much or as frequent. Yes, it’s okay to unfollow people for their laziness or their uninterest in socializing online.
Now, the big questions: When and how often should you declutter your digital life? Good question!
In my opinion, it differs per person, lifestyle, and accounts. Here’s the breakdown of my digital declutter:
- Personal (Friends/Family/ etc): Since I don’t get that much email in this account, I only clean up this account every 1-2 months.
- Business/Blog: I have a 3 emails I use for business and blog emails and they get filled up pretty frequent and quickly. So, I’m purging these accounts everyday to make room for more emails.
- Work (9-5): Unfortunately, I have countless of opened emails in my work inbox, but scared to delete just in case I need it later. However, I do purge my deleted folder every week.
- Twitter: I tend to go through my list of people I follow once every 2 months and if the person hasn’t tweeted anything in a month, I unfollow.
- Instagram: I recently did a HUGE purge of people I follow. It was more about streamline the things I see and people who influence me. In one day, I unfollowed over 400 accounts. However, I usually purge my Instagram following list once a month.
- Facebook/Youtube: I’m rarely on Facebook, anymore. So, there hasn’t really been a need for me to unfriend anyone. I’m an avid and daily YouTube watcher who is subscribed to quite a few channels. However, I go tiresome of some and unfollow some every other month, if needed.
So, do you declutter your digital life? If so, how often? Let me know!
That’s it for this month’s edition of Linkage Love
Isn’t weird that after a gazillion years, Friday the 13th is still “a thing”? I love that no matter how old or knowledgeable you get, Friday the 13th will always have just a slight surge of eeriness around it. So, tonight, I think I’m going to pop some corn, lounge on the sofa and watch a few Friday the 13th movies, but not the remakes from the last few years. Why were those made? Technology and gore doesn’t always make better horror films! Let me stop, because I could go on and on about how classic horror movies remakes are crappy and that’s not why I’m here right now.
Back to business. Recently, I decided that there was no better time than the present to start exploring and following my passions and start the journey to create my own business. So, I’ve been prepping my mind by reading as many articles, blog posts, and books that peak my interest about starting, curating, and marketing a business, as possible. The crazy thing is that the more I read, the more inspired I get. I even get inspired when I read about the difficulties and failures that you are bound to hit. However, as the old saying goes, “Failing to Plan, is Planning to Fail.” Strong words, right there my friends.
So, in this month’s Linkage Love (I guess this is going to be “a thing”, too.) you might see some links that are reflective of this new path to entrepreneurship that I’m embarking on sprinkled throughout. Who knows, maybe one of these posts will tickle that idea that you’ve been wanting to do for a while, but didn’t know where to begin or found the motivation. Still, there are some non-business/blogging posts. too. So, keep reading and enjoy!
- Habits of Exceptionally Likable People – Entrepreneur
- Awesome Celeb Hair Transformations – Marie Claire
- Simple Steps for Success – Design Sponge
- Transitioning Your Blog To Grow Your Business – Elle & Company
- The Ultimate Strappy Nude Sandal – ShopBop
- 9 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches That Are A Must To Try – Self
Here are some of my favorite blogs I read this week that I feel are super worthy to share and for your enjoyment. Enjoy.
The thing about apps, app games in particular, is that once you get addicted its hard to believe that you will ever stop not playing. Case in point, Candy Crush. Seriously, I thought that I was going to die playing this game. All my free time (and some non-free time) was spent playing Candy Crush and I didn’t just spend, but also some real, American money. I still play CC every now and then, but just not everyday and all day…like I used to do.
Since I’ve broken free from the CC world, other games have gotten my attention such as Flappy Bird and most recently Kim Kardashian: Hollywood. The thing about the 2 latter games is that they caught my attention, because everybody was talking about them and playing them. However, eventually, the hype of Flappy Bird died out within a month and after I reached an A-Lister within a week on Kim K. West’s Hollwood, it became super boring.
All of a sudden, I heard about and started playing this softly addicting games called Covet. Here are the basics. You begin by shopping and building your wardrobe and then enter fashion challenges or “events” to join where you style your own looks to win prizes and earn more virtual money to shop with!
This game has helped me curb my appetite for spending money on more clothes for me and instead, when I get the urge to shop, I just open up this app and starting spending…virtual money.
Do you or anyone you know play Covet Fashion? If so, let me know, because I do need more friends so borrow clothes from the closet. Oh, yes, you can borrow from friends closets! Awesome.
In case you are interested, the game is available for iPhone, iPad, and Android.